- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese or old nippy cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sweet onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon paprika (for sprinkling)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Dissolve yeast in 2 tbsps of warm water. Set aside.
In large bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, garlic powder and salt.
Cut in butter, until well blended.
Next, lightly stir in buttermilk and yeast mixture.
Now add the shredded cheese, finely chopped onions and minced peppers.
On a lightly floured board knead until a smooth dough forms.
Then roll dough 1/2 thick and cut into two inch squares.
Place biscuits on a lightly greased sheet and brush with melted butter.
Finally, sprinkle with paprika and dried thyme.
Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10- 12 minutes or until golden brown.