DUCK AND SAUSAGE GUMBO
- 2 (5 1/2 pound ducks) excess fat discarded, and cut into serving pieces
- 2 lb kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 12 cup chicken broth
- 6 cup water
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 2 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 cup cooked white or brown rice or a mixture of each
1 Prick duck skin all over with the tip of a knife. In a heavy skillet brown kielbasa and duck in batches over moderately high heat, transferring as browned to paper towels to drain. Combine kielbasa and duck with broth and water in a 6 gallon kettle and bring to a simmer.
2 Pour off all but 1/4 cup fat from skillet. Add flour and cook roux over low heat, stirring constantly, until a shade darker than peanut butter, about 30 minutes. Add onions, celery, and bell peppers, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add vegetable mixture to kettle and stir until roux is dissolves.
3 Simmer gumbo, uncovered, for 2 hours and let cool completely. Bone duck, discarding skin and bones. Chill gumbo overnight. Gumbo may be made 2 days in advance and kept covered and chilled. Discard fat on surface and reheat gumbo with cayenne, scallions, and salt over moderate heat. Serve over rice.