- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 (5 1/2 pound ducks) excess fat discarded, and cut into serving pieces
- 2 lb kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 12 cup chicken broth
- 6 cup water
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 2 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 cup cooked white or brown rice or a mixture of each
- 1 Prick duck skin all over with the tip of a knife. In a heavy skillet brown kielbasa and duck in batches over moderately high heat, transferring as browned to paper towels to drain. Combine kielbasa and duck with broth and water in a 6 gallon kettle and bring to a simmer.
- 2 Pour off all but 1/4 cup fat from skillet. Add flour and cook roux over low heat, stirring constantly, until a shade darker than peanut butter, about 30 minutes. Add onions, celery, and bell peppers, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add vegetable mixture to kettle and stir until roux is dissolves.
- 3 Simmer gumbo, uncovered, for 2 hours and let cool completely. Bone duck, discarding skin and bones. Chill gumbo overnight. Gumbo may be made 2 days in advance and kept covered and chilled. Discard fat on surface and reheat gumbo with cayenne, scallions, and salt over moderate heat. Serve over rice.
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More