- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 8 tablespoons (115 g) salted or unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 6 ounces (170 g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (25 g) unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (140 g) flour
- optional: 1 cup (100 g) toasted pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Dulce de Leche (or Cajeta)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 C).
- Line a 8-inch (20 cm) square pan with a long sheet of aluminum foil that covers the bottom and reaches up the sides.
- If it doesn't reach all the way up and over all four sides, cross another sheet of foil over it, making a large cross with edges that overhang the sides.
- Grease the bottom and sides of the foil with a bit of butter or non-stick spray.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add the chocolate pieces and stir constantly over very low heat until the chocolate is melted.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the sugar, vanilla, then the flour.
- Mix in the nuts, if using.
- Scrape half of the batter into the prepared pan. Here comes the fun part.
- Drop one-third of the Dulce de Leche, evenly spaced, over the brownie batter, then drag a knife through to swirl it slightly.
- Spread the remaining brownie batter over, then drop spoonfuls of the remaining Dulce de Leche in dollops over the top of the brownie batter.
- Use a knife to swirl the Dulce de Leche slightly.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
- The brownies are done when the center feels just-slightly firm.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- These brownies actually become better the second day, and will keep well for up to 3 days.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Koken met Oma
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!See More
Hot Artichoke Dip
Lemon Streusel MuffinsSee More