- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- for dulce de leche:
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- for ice cream:
- 3/4 cup dulce de leche
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/8 t. salt
- for the dulce de leche:
- in a double-boiler over boiling water cook the condense milk covered on low until it reaches a caramel color, stirring regularly, about 1.5 hours.
- for the ice cream:
- In a medium heavy saucepan, combine 3/4 cup of the dulce de leche, the cream, milk, and sugar.
- Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl.
- Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks.
- Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream, to the hot cream. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to keep a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and pour into the bowl of an ice cream machine.
- Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- When the ice cream is nearly completely thickened, pour in the remaining 1/4 cup dulce de leche to create a swirl in the ice cream.
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.
NotesI was on the hunt for the perfect homemade ice cream recipe. With a little help from Emeril and a little extra "something" on my end, I came up with the perfect recipe!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Foodie BabySee More
Thigh and Drumstick Cacciatore
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers
Chocolate PavlovaSee More