- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 can of cherry pie filling (about 16 oz)
- 1 can of crushed pineapple, undrained (about 16oz)
- 1 box yellow cake mix (any brand)
- 1 stick of butter, cut into 1/2" cubes
- Preheat oven to temperature recommended on the box of cake mix and grease a 9x13 pan.
- Spread the cherry pie filling evenly on the bottom of the pan, followed by the crushed pineapple. Sprinkle the cake mix over the pineapple. Finally, top the cake mix with the bits of butter. Even layering of the first three ingredients and even spacing of the butter is important.
- Mom's original instructions were to bake for the time instructed for the cake mix, but I find this recipe often needs 50-60 minutes to brown properly. When done, it will be bubbly around the edges and the cake mix will have formed a crisp topping above the fruit.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Suggestion: Top with vanilla ice cream.
NotesMy mother taught me this recipe when I was a teenager. She claims to have developed it, although I've seen similar recipes elsewhere. It's very sweet so you can serve smaller portions and get more servings than you might think.