DUTCH CHEESE SOUP
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Quarter cup of vegetable oil..........I use olive oil
- 1/2 T. butter
- 1/2 diced onion
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 2 potatoes cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1 cup carrots
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 oz. Canadian bacon, diced
- 5 oz. Gouda cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 slices sourdough baquettes
- salt and pepper
Heat oil on medium high heat in a 1.5 qt. saucepan.
Add onions and saute until softened.
Add cauliflower, carrots, and potatoes; saute for 5 minutes.
Stir in chicken stock and bring to a boil.
In a small skillet, heat the butter.
Add Canadian Bacon and saute' until lightly browned.
Add bacon to soup, reduce heat to low and cover, simmering until vegetables are tender (about 15 minutes)
**At this point I pureed the soup** the recipe did not call for it.
Pour soup into 4 individual flameproof crocks or bowls. Top each portion with 2 bread slices and 1/4 of the cheese.
Place under broiler until cheese is bubbly.