- Cooking Time: 6-8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound dry pinto beans (2-1/2 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- In a Dutch oven combine beans and 6 cups water. Bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. cover; let stand 1 hour. (Or soak beans in water overnight in a covered pan.) Drain.
- In same Dutch oven combine drained beans, chopped onion, 2 cups water, and 2 cups chicken broth.
- Bring to boiling.
- Cover and simmer 2 hours or till beans are very tender.
- For Refried Beans:
- In a large heavy skillet melt 1/4 cup bacon drippings or lard; add beans with liquid, garlic and salt. Using a potato masher or fork, mash beans completely. Cook, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or till thick, stirring often.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MidLife Road Trip's
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!See More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More