- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryA version of this recipe was given to me in the 70's by my sister. I've made it many, many times and it is loved every time. This salad makes a large bowl of salad and is best made ahead and refrigerated.
The blended flavors and the crunchiness of this salad is memorable. Many recipes akin to this call for sugar in the dressing and I personally think the sugar detracts from the great taste.
Real mayo, in my mind, is necessary for the great taste of this salad.
Serve with a gread bread for a complete meal.
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 C. real mayo (approximately)
- 2/3 C. parmesan cheese (approximately)
- 1 can water chestnuts, sliced
- crumbled bacon
- Break lettuce into large bowl.
- Layer cauliflower florets onto lettuce layer.
- Slice red onion as thinly as is humanly possible and layer over cauliflower.
- Spread or frost salad with mayo.
- Frost mayo in a thin layer to the edges of the salad bowl to seal.
- Grind pepper over mayo.
- Sprinkle a generous layer of parmesan cheese.
- Slice water chestnuts over cheese.
- Layer cooked bacon atop the water chestnuts.
- Chill before serving.
- If you are serving a crowd, toss before serving.
- If preparing for 4 people or less, dip from the bowl getting some of each ingredient because the salad will wilt if tossed and allowed to set.