EASY AS 1, 2, 3 SOUP
- Servings: 6
- For 4 cups dense vegetables choose one:
- parsnips: 1 lb. or 5 large
- beets: 1 1/4 lb. or 4 large
- sweet potatoes: 1 1/4 lb. or 2
- squash: 1 1/4 lb. or 1 small
- carrots: 1 lb. or 8
- Season with about 2 tsp. curry paste, ground ginger or cumin
- For 4 cups tender vegetables choose one:
- peas: 1 lb.
- broccoli: 1 lb. or 1 small bunch
- cauliflower: 1 lb. or 1 small head
- Season with about 1 tsp. dried Italian herb seasoning, crumbled dried basil, crumbled dried mint or herbes de Provence.
1. In a saucepan heat 2 tsp. vegetable oil over medium heat. Add 2 onions, chopped, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 1 potato peeled and cubed and your choice of the seasonings above. Cook stirring often for about 5 minutes or until onions are softened.
2. Add 4 cups chopped vegetable of your choice, 4 cups chicken, vegetable or beef stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes for tender vegetables and 20 minutes for dense vegetables.
3. Puree soup until smooth. If desired thin with more water, stock or milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Makes six 1 cup servings.