- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup white corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Spanish, regular, OR dry roasted peanuts
- -- Place a cookie sheet on a protected surface to place candy after cooking.
- -- Line electric frying pan with wide, heavy-duty aluminum foil. (Make as flat as possible. Do not puncture.)
- -- Put sugar, water, syrup, and butter/margarine in frying pan. Set on highest temperature. Stir occasionally, using the back of a spoon. Cook until golden brown, approximately 15 minutes. *See NOTE
- -- Switch off heat. Quickly stir in baking soda. Add peanuts.
- -- Carefully lift candy and foil out of pan. Place on cookie sheet, and spread candy as thin as possible. Let cool and break into pieces. Store in a covered container in a cool place (not refrigerated).
- When I suggested cooking time was approximately 15 minutes, I was using a 30+ year old electric frying pan.
- Using a newer frying pan, the temperatures seem to be set higher.
- The cooking will probably go quicker.
NotesI have made and shared this recipe for years as gifts to teachers, newspaper carrier, etc. This peanut brittle is a welcome treat both near and far. Be sure to add to your college/military care packages, too. There is little fuss or clean-up. Enjoy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Paul's Food World Volume 1
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' RecipesSee More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More