- Cooking Time: 2
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThese are what are served at fairs. They are relatively easy to make. You could make them easier by buying frozen bread dough but they aren't the same.
Crispy cinnamon-sugar fried bread confections!
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 3/8 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 quart oil for frying
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- In small saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar and shortening. Heat until shortening melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm, 110 degrees F (43 degrees C). Sprinkle in yeast and let sit until foamy.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl, and stir in flour to make a dough. Knead until smooth, cover and let rise 30 minutes.
- In a large heavy skillet or deep fryer, heat 1 inch of oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Roll out 1 to 2 inch balls of dough into thin sheets. Fry sheets 1 to 2 minutes on a side, until puffed and golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine cinnamon and 6 tablespoons sugar.
- Sprinkle over warm pastries.