- Cooking Time: 2
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 3/8 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 quart oil for frying
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- In small saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar and shortening. Heat until shortening melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm, 110 degrees F (43 degrees C). Sprinkle in yeast and let sit until foamy.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl, and stir in flour to make a dough. Knead until smooth, cover and let rise 30 minutes.
- In a large heavy skillet or deep fryer, heat 1 inch of oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Roll out 1 to 2 inch balls of dough into thin sheets. Fry sheets 1 to 2 minutes on a side, until puffed and golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine cinnamon and 6 tablespoons sugar.
- Sprinkle over warm pastries.
NotesThese are what are served at fairs. They are relatively easy to make. You could make them easier by buying frozen bread dough but they aren't the same.
Crispy cinnamon-sugar fried bread confections!
Camp Nubar Baking Class
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can EnjoySee More
GINGERBREAD(LAURA INGALLS WILDER)
Boneless Roast Turkey Breast With Blueberry Salsa
Perfect Easter HamSee More