- Cooking Time: 2
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 3/8 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 quart oil for frying
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- In small saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar and shortening. Heat until shortening melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm, 110 degrees F (43 degrees C). Sprinkle in yeast and let sit until foamy.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl, and stir in flour to make a dough. Knead until smooth, cover and let rise 30 minutes.
- In a large heavy skillet or deep fryer, heat 1 inch of oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Roll out 1 to 2 inch balls of dough into thin sheets. Fry sheets 1 to 2 minutes on a side, until puffed and golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine cinnamon and 6 tablespoons sugar.
- Sprinkle over warm pastries.
NotesThese are what are served at fairs. They are relatively easy to make. You could make them easier by buying frozen bread dough but they aren't the same.
Crispy cinnamon-sugar fried bread confections!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Cooking with Sabra
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through CollegeSee More
Thomas' English Muffin Clone
Black Bean SoupSee More