- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryReprinted from Celi-Yak News Summer 2013
One challenge with gluten-free eating has been exploring the versatility of commercially available products that just happen to be gluten-free! Corn tortillas are a great example of such gluten-free treasures!
- 1. When you want homemade tortilla chips…
- Cut corn tortillas into triangles or squares and fry some up in olive oil. Let the chips cool on a paper towel (to soak up the excess oil), sprinkle on some sea salt, and you have the best Mexican fare inspired snack.
- 2. When you’re craving enchiladas…
- In a casserole dish, layer corn tortillas with diced tomatoes, beans, chicken, and cheese (as you would with lasagna). Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees and you have a delicious gluten-free meal!
- 3. When you need a “sandwich” on the go…
- Use corn tortillas like bread to build your own sandwich to go! One of my biggest frustrations is trying to bring my meal with me, minus tons of cumbersome Tupperware. This way you can use cold cuts and cheese like anyone living a gluten-filled life!
- 4. When you’re making a breakfast quiche…
- Layer corn tortillas in a pie plate, using them as a gluten-free quiche crust. The tortillas will give nice struc-ture and crunch to your breakfast dish.
- Most corn tortillas are made from masa harina (dried corn treated with lime) and water. If you’re still feeling wary of commercial products, try making your own corn tortillas with this simple recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/corn-tortillas/