- Cooking Time: 45
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 pkg cake mix, german chocolate
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (my addition)
- Grease the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan. Mix the coconut and pecans together and spread this mixture on the bottom of the greased pan.
- Mix the German Chocolate cake mix according to package directions. Pour this cake mix over the nuts and coconut.
- Mix the powdered sugar, margarine, vanilla and cream cheese together. Pour this mixture over the cake mix. The mixture will be very thick. An alternative would be to drop spoons of the mixture over the top of the cake mix. That is what I did and then spread it around lightly with a spatula.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
NotesI wondered when I found this recipe, why does it have a name like Earthquake Cake! Well, I know now since making it! Earthquakes aren't pretty and they make a total mess and this is exactly what this cake looked like, a mess and it wasn't pretty! :) But boy oh boy, it is delicious! We really loved this cake! The sweetness of the coconut and cream cheese mixture mingling with the chocolate cake was delish! So, if you're looking for a pretty cake, you can forget this one!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through CollegeSee More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More