- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 4 or 5 loaves
- Preparation Time: 4 or 5 hours
- 5 lbs. of all purpase flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 ounces anise seeds
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 12 large eggs, room temperature
- 16 oz. fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons of anise extract
- 3 cups sugar (add more if you like it sweeter)
- 1/2 cup butter (or can use butter flavor Crisco)
- 6 packs Rapid Rise yeast
- 2 T sugar plus 1/2 cup warm water
Mix flour, baking powder, anise seed, and salt in a large bowl.
Mix together sugar, orange juice, melted butter or Crisco, and anise extract
Spray the side of a large pot with cooking spray.
Put dry ingredients in the pot.
Make a well and add the liquid ingredients, eggs first then yeast
Mix with your hands till all ingredients are incorporated.
Turn out onto a floured board for a little kneeding.
Put back in the pot, cover with a large beach towel. Keep in a warm place.
Punch down after first rise.
It doesn't have to raise double the second time.
Cut a piece of and place into a greased loaf or round cake pan. Let raise.
Or you can take two piece roll out and braid and then pinch together in a circle and place on a round pizza pan. Let raise.
Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. Continue baking at 300 degrees for 40 minutes.
Last 15 minutes brush with a beaten egg and water.