EASY, CREAMY POTATO SOUP
- 5-6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2-1 lb bacon
- 1/4-1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup frozen kernel corn or 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup butter (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Comfort food at it's best!
5-6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
1/2-1 lb bacon
1/4-1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup frozen kernel corn or 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 medium onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup butter (optional)
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Prepare bacon bits as noted below.
2. Meanwhile, boil potatoes in a large dutch oven in water; do not add salt! Drain
3. Pour reserved bacon grease into empty dutch oven; saute onion and garlic in reserved bacon grease until onion is lightly browned.
4. Add flour to the sauted onion mixture, stirring to evenly brown; add cream and stir constantly until mixture thickens; add chicken broth and stir until bubbly.
5. Stir potatoes, corn and bacon bits into the soup; add butter, salt and pepper to taste. (you may not need salt. Bacon is very salty) Simmer until butter is melted and stirred into soup.
6. Add milk at little at a time if soup is too thick for your tastes.
Bacon bit tip: Partially freeze your package of bacon. Use a sharp knife and cut the frozen bacon into long strips about 1/4 inch wide. Turn the bacon and cut the strips into pieces also about 1/4 in wide. You now have perfect raw bacon pieces to fast fry. No need to separate. They will separate during cooking. Perfect bacon bits.
Serves 6 to 8