- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMy cousin who lives down the road, brought me some beautiful Winesap apples from his tree. I happened to have one store-bought pie crust (the refrigerated rolled kind) and this is what I did:
- Refrigerated Pie Crust
- 4 cups of apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- dash of salt
- 1 1/3 Tbsp butter
- milk or cream to brush over crust
- Un-roll crust as per package directions and lay into a 9" pie plate, which has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Do not trim or crimp crust.
- In a mixing bowl, put about 4 cups apples, peeled and sliced.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice (how much depends on how tart the apples are...about 2 tsp)
- In a small bowl, combine 1-1/2 Tbsp flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, and a dash of salt.
- Pour the dry ingredients over the apples and toss to combine well.
- Turn mixture into the pie shell, doming it in middle.
- Dot filling with about 1-1/2 Tbsp butter.
- Fold over the excess crust onto the filling, then brush the crust with a little milk or cream, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about an hour, until crust is a deep golden brown, and apples are tender.
- Cool slightly, before serving wedges with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
- The added bonus to making this dessert is that the house smells wonderful while it's baking!!