- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 75
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup milk
- In a medium sized bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, butter and one egg. Knead with your hands until you have a smooth dough. Form a disk, cover and refrigerate for approx. 1 hour.
- Grease a tart pan and lightly dust it with flour. Preheat the oven at 350°F. Roll out the pastry and line the tart pan with it until the whole surface is covered. Push the dough into every corner of the tart pan. Cut off excess dough with a knife.
- Fill the dough with dried beans just like you would with regular tart filling. Bake the tart shell for about 15 minutes in the oven.
- In a small sauce pan melt the chocolate together with milk and heavy cream over low heat while constantly stirring. As soon as the chocolate is melted and the texture of the mixture becomes smooth and even, remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- In the meantime remove the tart shell from the oven and pour the beans onto a plate so they can cool (you can reuse them for other tarts).
- Lightly beat the remaining egg and add it to the chocolate mixture. Pour the chocolate mixture into the prebaked tart shell and spread evenly. Bake for about 20 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the filling is set.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
NotesI found this recipe a few years ago and I made this chocolate tart many times since then. It has a rich chocolate flavor, which comes from using high quality semisweet chocolate. The filling can be described as a mix between ganache and pudding and is absolutely easy to make. Depending on the season you can flavor it with spices like cinnamon or vanilla.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Italy or Bust
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Nick's PicksSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More