- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI adapted this from a recipe for Nutella Scrolls that I got from Baking Bites blog.
I made these this past weekend and my husband really enjoyed them, plus it was so simple.
Also you might want to whip up a sort of icing for the buns, I think I will next time. Enjoy!!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 cups milk, cold
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- about 2-3 TBS milk
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Rub in butter using your fingertips, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. The largest should be about the size of a large pea. Alternatively, you can combine these ingredients in a food processor and pulse to achieve crumbs, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in cold milk, gradually stirring with a butter knife or a fork until a soft dough forms.
- Sprinkle dough with flour and turn out onto a lightly-floured surface. Knead lightly until smooth, then roll out to a 12×14 inch rectangle. If dough gets too soft or sticky, even with the extra flour, put in fridge to chill for 15 minutes.
- Combine Brown sugar and cinnamon in small bowl, then add milk until you reach a thick paste consistency.
- Spread brown sugar/cinnamon mixture over dough, leaving a 2cm border along the longer edges, but going all the way to the end of the short edges of the rectangle.
- Starting with a long end, roll up dough in a jelly-roll fashion. Using a sharp, serrated knife to gently cut the roll into 12 even slices. Use a damp paper towel in between slices to keep knife clean and press gently to avoid squishing the roll.
- Lay scrolls flat on prepared baking sheet, allowing about 1 inch between each.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until scroll are light gold. Stand for 5 minutes on tray before gently pulling apart. Serve warm.