- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/4 c. unbleached flour
- 1/3 t. baking soda
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. margarine
- 1/4 c. buttermilk*
- 3/4 c. Dutch process cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 2 t. vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees, coat a 9x13-in pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk flour and baking soda in a bowl.
- Heat sugar, margarine and buttermilk, stirring constantly, in a saucepan over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cocoa.
- Stir until smooth.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, to sugar mixture, stirring well after each addition.
- Add vanilla. Stir in flour mixture.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake until done, 18-20 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- *Buttermilk substitute: Simply substitute soured milk. To sour 1/4 cup milk, and 3/4 teaspoon cider vinegar or lemon juice to the milk. Microwave on HIGH for 15 seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, peanut butter chips or white chocolate chips to batter.
NotesMoist, fudgy and easy -- you don't need to drag out the mixer!
Source: Quick & Healthy, Spring 1996
VivaVeganGal's Family Favorites
Rainbows Of Vegan Love
Babette's Test KitchenSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More