- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/4 c. unbleached flour
- 1/3 t. baking soda
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. margarine
- 1/4 c. buttermilk*
- 3/4 c. Dutch process cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 2 t. vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees, coat a 9x13-in pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk flour and baking soda in a bowl.
- Heat sugar, margarine and buttermilk, stirring constantly, in a saucepan over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cocoa.
- Stir until smooth.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, to sugar mixture, stirring well after each addition.
- Add vanilla. Stir in flour mixture.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake until done, 18-20 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- *Buttermilk substitute: Simply substitute soured milk. To sour 1/4 cup milk, and 3/4 teaspoon cider vinegar or lemon juice to the milk. Microwave on HIGH for 15 seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, peanut butter chips or white chocolate chips to batter.
NotesMoist, fudgy and easy -- you don't need to drag out the mixer!
Source: Quick & Healthy, Spring 1996
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Adventures in Cooking
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More