- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 c butter or margarine
- 4 c sifted powdered sugar
- 2 unbeaten egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 to 2 tsp light cream
- With pastry blender, cut butter into powdered sugar until its the consistence of cornmeal.
- (If you don't have a hand pastry blender, a food processor, or even a fork can work well for cutting.)
- Add egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar. Beat thoroughly. Stir in a little light cream till the frosting is juts a bit stiffer than spreading consistency.
- Tint frosting with a few drops of liquid food coloring, if desired. Place in pastry tube and squeeze onto graham crackers to make decorations.
- Decorate the walls and roof of your gingerbread house, either let dry or be VERY careful with your walls. Later, set your graham crackers up like a house of cards, pipe frosting onto the joints to hold the house together.
NotesTo make an easy Graham Cracker gingerbread house, you'll need 5 graham crackers per house
and either store-bought frosting in a tube or the following ornamental frosting.
(Caution: if the frosting you buy in a tube is intended for cakes, IT WILL NOT HARDEN. You can
decorate your graham cracker house with it, but intend on eating your house soon, because
it cannot be moved very easily.)