- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI grew up in an Italian Family and I cannot think of a better way to cook meatloaf.
This recipe has been in my family for years and brings back wonderful memories every time I make it.
I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as I do.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 7 ounce jar roasted red peppers chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups of prepared tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2. Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 3. Add your onion and garlic and saute until soft. Remove and set it aside on a plate to cool.
- 4. Grab yourself a large mixing bowl.
- 4. Add the cooled onions and garlic along with the the rest of your ingredients, except the tomato sauce, and combine.
- 5. Mix together well with your hands and form into a loaf and add it to an oiled oven safe tray.
- 6. Top the loaf with 1 cup of the prepared tomato sauce. Make certain that you spread the tomato sauce evenly over the top of the loaf.
- 7. Bake for about 1 hour or when the internal temperature of the meatloaf reaches 160 degrees F. Remove from the oven and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Slice it up and serve.
- Heat the remaining tomato sauce if desired and use for dipping.