- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 11⁄4 cups 7-grain hot cereal mix (3.75 oz)
- 21⁄2 cups boiling water
- 3 cups bread flour (14.25 oz)
- 11⁄2 cups whole wheat flour (6.76 oz)
- 4 Tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 1⁄4 cup honey (3 oz)
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled (2 oz.)
- 1 Tbsp instant yeast (Rapid Rise)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- Place cereal mix in bowl of standing mixer and pour boiling water over it; let stand, stirring occasionally, until mixture cools to 100° and resembles thick porridge, about 1 hour. Whisk flours and vital wheat gluten in medium bowl and set aside.
- Add honey, butter, and yeast to cereal mixture and stir to combine. With mixer fitted with dough hook and running on low speed, add flours 1⁄2 cup at a time, and knead until dough forms a ball, 11⁄2–2 minutes; cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rest 20 minutes.
- Add salt and knead on medium-low speed until dough clears sides of bowl, 3–4 minutes. (If dough does not clear the sides, add 2–3 Tbsp additional all-purpose flour and continue mixing—I didn’t need to do this.) Continue to knead dough for 10 more minutes.
- Place dough into large greased bowl; cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled, 45–60 minutes.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375°*. Spray two 9x5” loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and pat into 12x9” rectangle; cut dough in half crosswise with knife.
- With short side of one dough piece facing you, start at farthest end and roll dough into log. Keep roll taut by tucking it under itself as you go. Pinch seam gently to seal loaf. Spray loaves lightly with water or nonstick cooking spray. Repeat with other dough piece. Place each loaf seam-side down in greased loaf pans, pressing gently into corners. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise until almost doubled in size, 30–40 minutes. (Dough should barely spring back when poked with knuckle.)
- Bake until internal temperature registers 200° on instant-read thermometer, 35–40 minutes. Remove loaves from pans and cool on wire rack before slicing.
- NOTE: 345º for dark pans; standard bake for 34 minutes, switching half way through.
NotesMy husband is diabetic and has one slice of toast per day. This is his favorite bread.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Italian Exchange
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013See More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce