- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryIf you thought cooking tofu was tedious, here is a quick and easy recipe for tofu. A combination of pan-fried tofu and vegetables cooked in chicken broth. Basil and lemongrass add an Oriental touch.
- 10 oz. extra-firm tofu
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 habanero chili, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 4-inch piece lemongrass, minced
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 8-10 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Cut the tofu into bite-size cubes. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and then slice the halves about 1/4-inch thick.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over a high heat. Just when the oil begins to smoke, add the tofu and zucchini. Toss the tofu and zucchini in the pan and then let them cook till browned.
- Add the habanero, lemongrass and shallot. Cook till the zucchini is tender.
- Pour in the chicken broth, fish sauce and lime juice and cook until the broth thickens. Sprinkle the sliced basil on top just before serving.
- Make sure you drain out any excess water from the tofu and pat it dry before you start cooking it.