- Cooking Time: 12-15 minutes each batch
- Servings: 60-70 rolls
- Preparation Time: 2 hours
- 4 cups warm water
- 4 packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening (can use 1/2 butter-1/2 shortening)
- 2 eggs
- 12-14 cups flour
- In a very large bowl, dissolve yeast in water, and proof. (Let set for 5 minutes)
- Stir in sugar, salt, shortening, and eggs.
- Add 6 cups of the flour and mix with a hand mixer for about 2 minutes.
- Now add rest of flour a little at a time and start using a wooden spoon, until your can't stir anymore.
- Then put onto counter or table that has been dusted with flour.
- Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in another big bowl that has been oiled or greased, with the dough greased-side up.
- Cover with damp cloth, place in the refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- Take out and shape into rolls, I like the knot roll.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake 12-15 minutes.
- After done brush with melted butter.
NotesReceived this recipe back in high school days, homemaking class, 1968. Everyone seems to enjoy them.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Easy Homemade Salad DressingsSee More
Prickly Pear Margarita
Creamy Candy Bar Dessert
Hector's HurricanesSee More