- Cooking Time: 12-15 minutes each batch
- Servings: 60-70 rolls
- Preparation Time: 2 hours
- 4 cups warm water
- 4 packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening (can use 1/2 butter-1/2 shortening)
- 2 eggs
- 12-14 cups flour
- In a very large bowl, dissolve yeast in water, and proof. (Let set for 5 minutes)
- Stir in sugar, salt, shortening, and eggs.
- Add 6 cups of the flour and mix with a hand mixer for about 2 minutes.
- Now add rest of flour a little at a time and start using a wooden spoon, until your can't stir anymore.
- Then put onto counter or table that has been dusted with flour.
- Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in another big bowl that has been oiled or greased, with the dough greased-side up.
- Cover with damp cloth, place in the refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- Take out and shape into rolls, I like the knot roll.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake 12-15 minutes.
- After done brush with melted butter.
NotesReceived this recipe back in high school days, homemaking class, 1968. Everyone seems to enjoy them.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Social Cookbook
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More