EASY RUSSIAN KULICH (EASTER BREAD)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. butter, cut up
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups Bread flour
- 1/3 cup chopped candied fruits and peels, drained of syrup
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
- 1-1/2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tsp. Fleischmann’s Bread Machine Yeast
- Almond Icing
Add all ingredients except icing to bread machine pan in the order suggested by the manufacturer, adding fruits and peels and almonds with flour. Drizzle cooled bread with Almond Icing.
Almond Icing: Stir together 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp. almond extract, and enough milk (2 to 3 tsp.) to make icing of drizzling consistency.
Recommended cycle: Basic/white bread cycle; light or medium/normal color setting.
To toast nuts: Spread chopped nuts in a shallow baking pan large enough to accommodate a single layer.
Bake the nuts at 350º F. for 5 to 15 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring several times and checking often.
Be sure to cool the nuts before adding them to the bread. Yield: 1-1/2 lb. loaf.