- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- dash of chili powder (I use chipotle)
- 1/2 small red onion, diced, or a few stalks of scallions, chopped, if you prefer less heat
- 1 bunch fresh parsely, chopped, or more if you like (I do!)
- 1 or 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cucumber, seeded and chopped
- In a medium bowl, pour boiling water over the bulgur wheat. Cover and let it stand for about 30 minutes to absorb all of the water.
- In another bowl, or a shaker, add the oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, oregano, and chili powder. Whisk or shake well to combine. Add vegetables and parsley to the bulgur wheat, pour the oil mixture over, and toss well.
- Chill for an hour or more, serve over lettuce or in a pita.
NotesI modified this recipe from one that I found on the back of a box of bulgur wheat. Summertime is my favorite season to make this, and I keep a bowl of it in the fridge for a super easy lunch fix. Just add romaine or fresh spinach leaves, feta cheese, and canned albacore tuna, and you've got the perfect summer salad.
Breads and Breakfasts: Bakin' Without Eggs...or Dairy!
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
Sharing Christmas with FriendsSee More
Pandas' Favorite Pie by Kaylan & Finn Agarwal
Peggy's Hot Canapes
Panera Broccoli Cheese SoupSee More