- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryWhat Halloween party would be complete without spooktacular, spine-tingling dishes? Get ready for some ghoulishly good fun with this sinister soup overflowing with “eyeballs”.
- For the Soup:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup white wine, dry
- Two 28oz. cans tomatoes, crushed with juice
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 springs of fresh oregano
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Coarse sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- For the Eyeballs:
- 25 bocconcini (small mozzarella balls)
- 1 jar small green olives stuffed with pimentos
- Prepare the soup. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add onion and garlic, sautéing until translucent and taking care not to burn them, about 5 minutes. Next, add the white wine and reduce until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, and oregano. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, simmering until the soup has thickened, about 40 minutes. Remove the oregano and puree soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add cream, stirring constantly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Next create the eyeballs. Using a melon baller, scoop out a hole from each mozzarella ball. Cut the green olives in half. In each mozzarella ball, place an olive half with the cut side facing down. Dish the soup into serving bowls and float several eyeballs on top.