- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 oz lemon gelatin (can be sugar-free)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 8 oz cream cheese (can be lowfat/Neufchatel)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (can be fat-free)
- Dissolve lemon gelatin in 1 cup water in double boiler, add marshmallows and stir to melt. Remove from heat.
- Add pineapple juice and cream cheese. Beat until well blended. Cool slightly. Fold in mayo.
- If you have a truffle candy mold or round ice cube trays, pour the mixture in the molds and leave to set in the fridge. Otherwise pour into a deep ceramic dish and chill until thickened or firm enough for scooping into eyeballs. Using a melon baller, scoop full balls of the mixture and set aside for decoration.
- To decorate, use liquid food coloring and an old detail paintbrush and get creative. You will need black food coloring for the pupils. Also, if you are in a hurry, instead of painting the colored irises, you can carefully dip the ball in a small pool of food coloring to approximate the iris, but still paint on the pupils.
NotesI have found that Wilton truffle candy molds are better (or the rubber ice cube trays work too), since the swirl design on the top is the right size for the cornea shape on the eyeball. When using the truffle molds, one recipe makes about 9 dozen eyeballs - plenty for a party crowd!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Whey Bean Salad
Boo CupsSee More