- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 -pound loaf
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large egg plus 1 yolk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cups bread flour
- 3 teaspoons gluten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1-pound loaf
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- Place the ingredients in the bread machine according to manufacturer's instructions. Set Crust on light, program for Basic or Tender Bread, and press Start. After the baking cycle ends, immediately remove the bread from the machine to a cooling rack. Cool to room temperature before slicing.
- HAMBURGER, HOT DOG, LONG ROLLS, AND SANDWICH BUNS
- Place the ingredients in the bread machine according to manufacturer's instructions. Program for the Dough cycle and press Start. Parchment-line a baking sheet. After the Rising cycle ends, at the beep immediately remove the dough and place on a lightly floured work surface. Divide the 1 -pound dough into 6 equal portions for hamburger or sandwich buns, 7 equal portions for hot dog or long rolls. Divide the 1 1/2 -pound dough into 8 equal portions for hamburger or sandwich buns, and 10 equal portions for hot dog or long rolls. Form the hamburger buns into tight rounds; form the long rolls by flattening the dough into ovals and rolling up each portion tightly from the long end to form a cylinder. Place the rolls on the baking sheet at least 1 inch apart. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes. Twenty minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the baking sheet on a rack in the center of the oven and bake until lightly browned, for 15 to 22 minutes depending on the size of the roll. Remove immediately to a cooling rack. Cool thoroughly before slicing
- Sweet Swirled Bread
- I have adapted these filling ideas they make wonderful breakfast breads. The dough is removed from the machine, spread with filling and rolled up, and either put back into the machine or into the oven for baking.
- Makes: 1 loaf
- Egg Bread (see above recipe)
- Choice of filling (see variations that follow)
- Vanilla Sugar or Vanilla Powdered Sugar (recipe follows
- Program the bread machine for Basic Bread or the Dough cycle. After the Rising cycle ends, at the beep immediately remove the dough and place on a lightly floured work surface and pat into an 8-by-I2 inch fat rectangle. Sprinkle or brush with the desired filling, leaving a 1-inch space all the way around. Starting at the short edge, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Tuck the ends under, pinch the bottom seam, and coat the bottom with nonstick cooking spray. If using the Basic Bread cycle, remove the kneading blade and place the dough back in the pan. Press Start to continue to rise and bake.
- To bake the loaf in your kitchen oven, grease an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan for the I 1/2-pound loaf, or a 7 1/2-by-3 1/2-inch loaf for the 1 pound loaf. Spray the top with nonstick cooking spray and cover lightly with plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature until doubled in bulk, about 50 minutes.
- Twenty minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the pan on a rack in the center of the oven and bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown, the sides have slightly contracted from the pan, and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped with your finger. Remove to a cooling rack. Cool and dust with Vanilla Sugar, if desired.
- Vanilla Sugar:
- In an airtight container, bury 1 whole or split vanilla bean in 2 cups granulated or powdered sugar. Let stand at room temperature for 4 days to 1 week, or until scented as desired. use the sugar in place of plain sugar. Replace the sugar in the container as needed, leaving the bean; replace the bean only when it dries out.
- Sweet Swirled Bread Fillings
- CHERRY-CHEESE FILLING:
- Combine 6 to 8 ounces cream cheese and 1 to 2 tablespoons milk or sour cream to a smooth, thick, spreadable consistency. Spread the dough rectangle with the cheese. Top with 1/2 to 3/4 cup canned cherry pie filling. Continue as directed.
- SPICE FILLING:
- Brush the dough rectangle with 1 to 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter. Combine 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar or granulated maple sugar and 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon or cardamom and sprinkle over the rectangle. Continue as directed.
- ALMOND FILLING:
- Spread with 1/2 to 3/4 cup Solo brand almond filling. Continue as directed.
- HONEY DATE FILLING:
- Gently heat 1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, and 3 tablespoons honey together. Brush the dough rectangle with the honey-butter mixture. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon and 1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates. Continue as directed.
- APPLE-NUTMEG FILLING:
- Brush the dough rectangle with 1 to 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter. Combine 1/3 cup light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice and sprinkle over the rectangle. Evenly scatter 3/4 cup chopped peeled and cored fresh apple and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts. Continue as directed.
- GRANOLA-BLUEBERRY FILLING:
- Brush the dough rectangle with 1 to 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter. Sprinkle with 1/3 to 1/2 cup sweetened granola. Scatter 1/2 to 2/3 cup fresh blueberries on top. Continue as directed.
- ORANGE-PECAN FILLING:
- Brush the dough rectangle with 1 to 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter. Spread with 1/2 to 2/3 cup imported rough-cut orange marmalade. Sprinkle 1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top. Continue as directed.
- APRICOT AND WHITE CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- Brush the dough rectangle with 1 to 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter. Sprinkle 1/2 to 3/4 cup white chocolate chips and 1/2 to 3/4 cup snipped dried apricots (soaked first in hot water 20 minutes, drained and patted dry with paper towels), and 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts on top. Continue as directed
NotesAnother basic bread, good for toast or grilled sandwiches. Round and long rolls are easy to make from this dough.
Makes: 1 loaf
Dough for 1-pound loaf makes 6 round and 8 long rolls
Dough for 1 1/2-pound loaf makes 8 round and 10 long rolls
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Classic Chocolate RecipesSee More
Roasted Pepper Potato Soup
Oven Crispy FriesSee More