- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 pound shrimp -- uncooked
- 1/2 pound pork -- diced
- 1 can bean sprouts -- drained
- 1 can mixed oriental vegetables
- 1 medium onion -- sliced
- 2 stalks celery -- sliced diagonally
- 1 cup mushroom -- sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 12 each egg roll skins
- 1 large egg -- beaten
- In a bowl, mix sherry, 1/2 tsp. salt, cornstarch. Cut the mushrooms in small pieces. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok over high heat and add shrimp and pork. Stir and cook until shrimps turn pink. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a clean wok on high heat and cook celery and onion for about 2 minutes stiring rapidly. Add 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar and cook for about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, peanut butter, vegetables, and bean sprouts and mix a few times. Cover and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Add cooked shrimp and pork. Place in a colander to drain and cool in a refrigerator. Place 1/4 cup of the cooled mixture in the center of each egg roll wrapper and fold the end over to enclose the mixture. Then fold the sides to the middle and roll to the egg roll shape sealing with the slightly beaten egg.
- Heat oil To 375 degrees and deep fry for 3 to 5 minutes, until each is golden brown. Rolls can be made in advance of serving by deep frying for 1 minute and allowed to drain on a paper towel. When serving time arrives, deep fry again until golden brown.
- Serve with hot mustard and egg roll sauce. I am including the sauce in another recipe.
- I have frozen them after precooking and they come out great.
NotesI love egg rolls but always had a problem with them not being crisp enough. The way you get them at a good Chinese restaurant. I had a Chinese student who gave me a Chinese cookbook and helped me solve that problem. (The cookbook was in Chinese with English on the back of the next page.) The major secret is that you must let the cooked mixture drain the the refrigerator. The other secret is to pre-cook them slightly and recook just before serving.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
20+ Pumpkin Recipes!See More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More