- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThe basic ingredients for this delicious spread are usually beaten egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice and zest which are gently cooked together until thick and then allowed to cool, forming a soft, smooth mixture. The cornstarch forms the thickening action here, without the cholesterol and fat!
- 1/4 c. cold water
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 3 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- In a saucepan, whisk together water, sugar, cornstarch, and salt until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. When mixture thickens.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture into a non-metallic bowl and add lemon juice and zest, mixing well.
- Allow to cool and thicken at room temperature.
- Can be refrigerated, covered, for several days. Before serving, beat thoroughly to a smooth, spreadable consistency.
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 78.8
- Total Fat: 0.0 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 0.8 mg
- Total Carbs: 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 0.0 g
- Yield: About 1 cup, 2 tbsp per serving