- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Ice Cream:
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- To prepare ice cream, combine whipping cream and milk in heavy medium saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean.
- Add bean. Bring to simmer. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture. Return mixture to saucepan.
- Stir constantly over medium−low heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 5 minutes (do not boil).
- Strain into large bowl. Mix in rum and nutmeg. Refrigerate until cold.
- Process mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to container and freeze. Can be made 4 days ahead. Keep frozen.
- To prepare sauce, melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar, cream and corn syrup. Boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Mix in rum. Cool slightly. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and
- refrigerate. Rewarm before using.)
- Scoop ice cream into bowls. Spoon warm sauce over ice cream.
Notesfrom ice cream delights!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Short & Sweet
Food Travels Through Italy
Christmas CookiesSee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More