- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 32
- Preparation Time:
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts milk, scalded
- 1 cup dark rum
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- In heavy 4-quart saucepan with wire whisk, beat eggs, sugar and salt until blended.
- Gradually stir in 1 quart milk and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon well, about 25 minutes, but do not boil, or it will curdle. (Mixture should be about 160 degrees F)
- Pour custard into large bowl, stir in rum, vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk.
- Cover and chill, at least 3 hours. whisk, gently fold whipped cream into custard.
- Pour eggnog into chilled 5 quart bowl, sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Makes about 16 cups (32 servings.)
- NOTE***Keep this eggnog in a container you can shake because the cream and custard may separate.
- If this happens just shake it up again and enjoy.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Holiday "Butt" Stuffing
Pumpkin Pie With Perfect Pie Crust
Nacho Cheese DipSee More