- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 2 1/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium eggplants sliced lengthwise, 1/3 in. thick slices
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 scallions,thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup whole parsley leaves
- In a 10 to 12 inch saute' pan, heat 2 cups of the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the eggpland 3 or 4 slices at a time and fry, turning once, until soft and golden brown. Transfer to paper towels and dain.
- In a medium bowl, conbine the ricotta cheese, egg, scallions and nutmeg, mix well.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Lay the drained eggplant slices out on a work surface and place 1 tablespoon of the ricotta filling at the base of each slice.
- Roll the eggplant up and around the filling to for a roll and set seam side down.
- Lightly oil a baking dish large enough to hold the eggplant roll ups.
- Pour the sauce into the dish and place the rolls seam side down in the sauce.
- Bake until the cheese starts to melt out of the rolls, about 15 minutes.
- Drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, sprinkle with parsley and serve.