EGGPLANT INVOLTINI WITH RICOTTA AND SCALLIONS
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 2 1/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium eggplants sliced lengthwise, 1/3 in. thick slices
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 scallions,thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup whole parsley leaves
In a 10 to 12 inch saute' pan, heat 2 cups of the olive oil over medium high heat.
Add the eggpland 3 or 4 slices at a time and fry, turning once, until soft and golden brown. Transfer to paper towels and dain.
In a medium bowl, conbine the ricotta cheese, egg, scallions and nutmeg, mix well.
Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
Lay the drained eggplant slices out on a work surface and place 1 tablespoon of the ricotta filling at the base of each slice.
Roll the eggplant up and around the filling to for a roll and set seam side down.
Lightly oil a baking dish large enough to hold the eggplant roll ups.
Pour the sauce into the dish and place the rolls seam side down in the sauce.
Bake until the cheese starts to melt out of the rolls, about 15 minutes.
Drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, sprinkle with parsley and serve.