- Cooking Time: 75
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for brushing
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 48 ounces chunky tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Oil two baking sheets with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Whisk eggs and water together in a shallow dish.
- Combine Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, salt, and ground black pepper in a separate shallow dish.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture.
- Press slices into the crumbs and tap off excess. Arrange slices on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake eggplant slices in the preheated oven until tops are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Flip eggplant and bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from the oven and increase temperature to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and stir in ground beef. Season beef with salt and ground black pepper.
- Cook and stir until beef is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain excess grease.
- Stir tomato sauce into ground beef; bring to a simmer and set sauce aside.
- Oil a 9x13 baking dish with olive oil.
- Place 1/3 of the eggplant slices on bottom of the dish.
- Pour 1/3 of tomato sauce with ground beef on top of eggplant layer.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of mozzarella cheese on top of sauce layer.
- Repeat 2 more times, finishing with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The NourishFull Kitchen
Watt's Cooking in PA?See More
Curried Eggplant with Coconut Milk
Cube Steaks Paprika
Crockpot Rice Pork ChopsSee More