- Cooking Time: 75
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for brushing
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 48 ounces chunky tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Oil two baking sheets with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Whisk eggs and water together in a shallow dish.
- Combine Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, salt, and ground black pepper in a separate shallow dish.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture.
- Press slices into the crumbs and tap off excess. Arrange slices on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake eggplant slices in the preheated oven until tops are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Flip eggplant and bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from the oven and increase temperature to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and stir in ground beef. Season beef with salt and ground black pepper.
- Cook and stir until beef is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain excess grease.
- Stir tomato sauce into ground beef; bring to a simmer and set sauce aside.
- Oil a 9x13 baking dish with olive oil.
- Place 1/3 of the eggplant slices on bottom of the dish.
- Pour 1/3 of tomato sauce with ground beef on top of eggplant layer.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of mozzarella cheese on top of sauce layer.
- Repeat 2 more times, finishing with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
The Social CookbookSee More
Roasted Pepper Potato Soup
Oven Crispy FriesSee More