- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- Olive oil spray
- 1 cup grated Asiago or Romano cheese,
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 large firm eggplant, ends trimmed, cut into ½-inch round slices
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1-2 cups diced onions
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp. julienned fresh basil leaves
- 1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray 9-inch pie pan with non-stick vegetable spray. Sprinkle 1/3 cup Asiago or Romano cheese over the bottom and sides of plate to form light crust. Set aside.
- 2. Sprinkle 1 tsp. coarse salt over eggplant slices; let sit about 30 minutes. Rinse slices with cold water; blot dry with paper towels.
- 3. Arrange eggplant in single layer on baking sheet sprayed with non-stick vegetable spray. Spray tops with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Broil about 8 inches from heat source until browned, about 4 minutes; turn and brown other side, about 2 minutes. Let cool. Overlap slices in prepared pie plate, extending up sides up plate.
- 4. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Cook, until softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in marinara sauce; cook 1 more minute. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- 5. Combine ricotta cheese, egg yolk, 1 Tbsp. basil, and 1/3 cup Asiago or Romano cheese in small bowl. Adjust seasoning to taste. Spread ricotta mixture over eggplant slices. Spread onion mixture over cheese. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over onions, then remaining Asiago or Romano cheese. Can be prepared ahead and refrigerated overnight, covered with foil.
- 6. Bake, uncovered, until lightly browned and bubbling, about 25-30 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Can be baked ahead, cooled, refrigerated and reheated, covered in 350-degree oven for 30-40 minutes.
- 7. To serve, scatter remaining 1 Tbsp. basil over top.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Cooking with SabraSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More