- Servings: 4 Cups
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 medium sized eggplant - about 1 lb, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pinenuts
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 to 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp capers, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add onion, season with salt and pepper.
Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion begins to soften - about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic.
Cook a couple minutes more.
Add eggplant and tomatoes.
Cook, stirring occasionally until eggplant is very soft, about 15 minutes.
Add vinegar, nuts, olives, raisins, sugar, and capers.
Cook uncovered over medium-low heat until vegetables begin to break down, about 10-12 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
Mix in the parsley.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Relish can be refrigerated, covered, up to 5 days.
Serve with toasted French baguette slices, bread sticks