- Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- Servings: Serves 4
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis recipe has been passed down in my family for generations. My grandmother, Nonna Romana, and her three sisters would prepare this dish as a family in Mola, all having a different responsibility in the cooking process.
Eggplant Rollatini is one of my favorite dishes and I love that my "Nonna" has taught me the recipe.
- • 2 – Eggplants (1 large for slicing and 1 small for the stuffing)
- • 2 Cups – Tomato sauce
- • 1/2 Cup - Plain bread crumbs
- • 3/4 Cup - Grated Parmigiano cheese
- • 1/4 Lb - Mozzarella
- • 2 Eggs
- • 4 Cloves of garlic
- • 1 Medium Onion
- • 2 Tbs - Fresh mint - chopped
- • EV olive oil
- • Salt & pepper
- Tomato Sauce:
- • In a saucepan add 4 Tbs of EV olive oil, the finely chopped onion and one clove of chopped garlic. Once the onion is slightly golden add the tomatoes.
- • Cook at low flame for 20 minutes. Stir the content from time to time.
- Eggplant Preparation:
- • Remove the peel from both eggplants.
- • Cut the small eggplant into small cubes.
- • In a sauté pan add ¼ cup of EV olive oil, the cubed eggplant, 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped and a pinch of salt. Sauté the eggplant until it becomes soft. Leave on the side to cool off.
- • Cut the large eggplant in slices, about 1/4 inch thick. Slices should be cut long way.
- • Fry the eggplant slices in oil. Dry any excess oil.
- Stuffing Preparation:
- • In a mixing bowl, add the eggs, ½ Cup of Parmigiano (leave a ¼ Cup to put on the rollatini at the end), bread crumbs, chopped mint, 2 tbs of EV olive oil, half of the mozzarella cut into small cubes, the sautéed eggplant and 2 Tbs of the tomato sauce that you prepared. Add pepper to taste.
- • Mix everything well.
- Rollatini Preparation:
- • Take each slice of fried eggplant and add 1 tablespoon of stuffing on the slice and roll it. Repeat the process for all the slices of eggplant.
- • In an oven pan, first add a layer of tomato sauce and then place all the eggplant rollatini.
- • Cover all the rollatini with a layer of tomato sauce and a generous sprinkle of Parmigiano cheese.
- • Put the pan in the oven and cook for 30 minutes at 450F.
- • In the last 5 minutes of cooking add a tiny slice of mozzarella on each rollatino and finish baking.