- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 2 medium sized eggplants
- 2 mozzarellas (125 g ones)
- 4 tomatoes (e.g. San Marzano)
- a bunch of fresh basil leaves
- 1 TBspoon pinenuts
- 1 clove of garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Turn your oven to 200°C.
- Wash, dry and cut the eggplants into 1 cm thick slices.
- Brush the slices with a little oil (just a tiny bit, don't soak them, eggplants really are oil drinkers) and grill them for a couple minutes on each side on medium heat, just until they get grilling marks. When they are ready place them directly on a large enough baking tin lined with baking paper.
- Cut the mozzarella and the tomatoes into small cubes, and leave the tomatoes in a colander for 10 minutes.
- Chop finely the basil leaves, the pinenuts and the garlic (I used a mezzaluna).
- Now assemble your little "pizzettas": put a little tomatoes and mozzarella cubes on each eggplant slice, add a little basil and pinenut pesto, drizzle with little EVOO and a bit of salt.
- Bake them in the hot oven for 7-8 minutes (I actually let them bake for 10 minutes) and you're good to go.
NotesWe really enjoyed these unusual pizzettas. Excellent both as an appetizer or a side dish.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Hot Artichoke Dip
Lemon Streusel MuffinsSee More