- Cooking Time: 20-30 mins
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 30 mins
- 4 small eggplants
- 250 g ground veal
- 4 slices of bread
- 100 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 1 clove of garlic
- 40 g of grated Parmigiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley 2 shallots
- 40 g soft pecorino cheese
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt, pepper
- Cut the bread into cubes and let it soak in milk for a few minutes.
- Squeeze the bread and mix with the meat, the egg, the finely minced garlic, the grated Parmigiano, the chopped parsley, salt and pepper to your taste.
- With wet hands, form very small meatballs. Mine were size of a teaspoon. The smaller the better.
- Carefully wash and dry the eggplants. Cut the top of one side, and scoop the pulp leaving the shell about 1/2 cm thick. Chop the pulp.
- Put some oil in a large enough skillet and brown the meatballs that you previously dredged in flour.
- In another deep skillet saute the onions, add the chopped eggplant pulp, a little salt and pepper, and stirfry until the eggplant is just soft. Add the meatballs and plenty of chopped fresh basil.
- Cut the pecorino cheese and the tomatoes into cubes.
- Fill the eggplants with the meatballs adding the cubes of cheese and tomatoes. Drizzle with oil.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 200°C for about 20 minutes (it took me a bit longer because *see the note). You may need to cover them with a piece of aluminium foil so they don't burn.
- NOTE: Although I cooked them longer than the recipe said, the eggplants were not done as they should have. So I think it would be much better to pre-bake empty eggplants, for about 10 minutes, before filling them.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Adventures in Cooking
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Corn Fritters ( Sorullitos)
Mambo Pork Rolls with Sweet Potatoes
Red Lentil And Vegetable SoupSee More