- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 10
BackstoryLong an Easter tradition, stuffed hard-cooked eggs -- served on crisp leafy greens -- make the perfect springtime appetizer. Heaped high with a shrimp-yolk filling, they’re rich in protein and zesty in flavor.
- 1 can (4 ounces) tiny shrimp, drained
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt**
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned black olives
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Lettuce leaf, if desired
- Sprigs of fresh thyme or chives, for garnish, if desired
- Peel and cut the eggs in half lengthwise; remove the yolks. Set whites aside, carefully keeping them intact.
- Mash yolks in a small bowl with a fork. Add shrimp, yogurt, olives, chives, thyme, dry mustard and black pepper; blend well. Place the egg white halves on a plate lined with leaf lettuce, if desired.
- Mound each egg white half with the shrimp-yolk mixture. Garnish with thyme or chives, if desired.
- *To hard cook eggs: Cover eggs with cold water in a saucepan. Bring water to a boil. Lower heat; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Plunge eggs into cold water to stop cooking and to keep yolks from discoloring.
- **Tip: If you prefer, use fat-free mayonnaise, or use half fat-free plain yogurt and half mayonnaise.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 50; Total fat 3g; Saturated fat 1g; Cholesterol 125mg; Sodium 100mg; Total carbohydrate 1g; Fiber 0g; Protein 5g; Vitamin A 4%DV*; Vitamin C 2%DV; Calcium 4%DV; Iron 4%DV
- *Daily Value
- (Tip: For less cholesterol, use only 4 or 6 cooked yolks.)