- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 garlic clove, lightly crushed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups canned tomato puree
- 4 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces, pr a pink of dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano
- In a medium skillet, cook the garlic in the oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until lightly golden. Add the tomato, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened. Discard the garlic.
- Break an egg into a small cup. With a spoon, make a well in the tomato sauce. Slide the egg into the sauce. Continue with the remaining eggs. Sprinkle with the cheese. Cover and cook for 3 minutes, or until the eggs are done to taste. Serve hot.
NotesUova in Purgatorio - Eggs in Purgatory. You can probably guess why it is named that, looking at the picture. It looks like a bloody mess. But it is tasty, which is what matters. Serve with some hot, buttered ciabatta bread.