EGYPTIAN CHICKEN SOFRITO
- Cooking Time: 45 to 50
- 1 large or 2 small chickens, quartered
- 1 and a half teaspoons salt
- 1 quarter teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 half teaspoon freshly ground seeds of green cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon of allspice, freshly ground
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 5 cups of water
- 250 g orechiette
Combine everything except 2 cups of water and the pasta in a saucepan or Dutch oven.
Bring to the boil and let it cook, covered, over low medium heat for 30 minutes.
Add the other 2 cups of water and the pasta and let it boil another 15-20 minutes to cook the pasta al dente.
There should be a good bit of sauce at the end.
Thats it - easier than pie.
Serve warm or at room temperature, not hot.
It is tangy and refreshing after having been chilled for a couple of hours and then taken out half an hour before serving (in a beautiful glass dish, garnished with some lemon slices and chopped parsley or coriander leaves or mint).