- Cooking Time: 45 to 50
- Preparation Time:
- 1 large or 2 small chickens, quartered
- 1 and a half teaspoons salt
- 1 quarter teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 half teaspoon freshly ground seeds of green cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon of allspice, freshly ground
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 5 cups of water
- 250 g orechiette
- Combine everything except 2 cups of water and the pasta in a saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Bring to the boil and let it cook, covered, over low medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the other 2 cups of water and the pasta and let it boil another 15-20 minutes to cook the pasta al dente.
- There should be a good bit of sauce at the end.
- Thats it - easier than pie.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, not hot.
- It is tangy and refreshing after having been chilled for a couple of hours and then taken out half an hour before serving (in a beautiful glass dish, garnished with some lemon slices and chopped parsley or coriander leaves or mint).
NotesThe following is a mixed-up version of 2 recipes from Claudia Roden's wonderful Book of Jewish Food. This version has become a family favourite, especially to eat lightly chilled on a hot summer day.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
50 Shades of TasteSee More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More