- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4 to 6
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tbl Butter
- 1 lb Lamb, in 3-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 3 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 12 Dried prunes soaked in water for one hour
- 2 tbl White raisins
- 2 tbl Whole blanched almonds
- 1 Firm pear, peel/core/wedges
- 2 tbl Orange blossom water
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the lamb and saute over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, water and sugar and mix well. Increase the heat to moderate and cook for about 40 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
- The sauce will darken.
- Drain the prunes and add them to the lamb with the raisins, almonds and pear.
- Simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the orange blossom water.
- Serve at room temperature with rice, salad and bread.
- Serves 4 to 6 with other dishes.
NotesThe holy celebration of Ramadhan is when the Algerian Muslims eat this sweet lamb after a day of fasting. It is almost a dessert meat, with raisins, prunes, sugar, almonds and orange blossom water, and it is cooked without salt, to prevent thirst the next day for those fasting.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!See More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More