- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4 to 6
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tbl Butter
- 1 lb Lamb, in 3-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 3 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 12 Dried prunes soaked in water for one hour
- 2 tbl White raisins
- 2 tbl Whole blanched almonds
- 1 Firm pear, peel/core/wedges
- 2 tbl Orange blossom water
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the lamb and saute over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, water and sugar and mix well. Increase the heat to moderate and cook for about 40 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
- The sauce will darken.
- Drain the prunes and add them to the lamb with the raisins, almonds and pear.
- Simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the orange blossom water.
- Serve at room temperature with rice, salad and bread.
- Serves 4 to 6 with other dishes.
NotesThe holy celebration of Ramadhan is when the Algerian Muslims eat this sweet lamb after a day of fasting. It is almost a dessert meat, with raisins, prunes, sugar, almonds and orange blossom water, and it is cooked without salt, to prevent thirst the next day for those fasting.