- Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes.
- Servings: approximately 12
- Preparation Time: 7 minutes
BackstoryThese Puff pastry type doughnuts were once a New Years Eve and New Years day treat. They seem to have vanished, but all one has to do is make them with this recipe, and experience them, anyway.
- Cream Puff Paste:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- pinch of saltt
- 1 cup sifted all purpose flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- oil for deep frying
- 1 1/4 cups powder sugar, sifted
- 3 Tablespoons rum or 1 to 3 tablespoons Rum Extract
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Cut sheet of baking partchment paper to fit a deep fying pan;
- brush with oil.
- To make cream puff paste: Heat water gently with butter and salt in a medium sauce pan, until the butter is melted. Increase heat and bring to boiling. Add the flour all at once; remove from heat. Stir until the dough comes away from sides of pan and forms a ball. Return to heat and cook
- 1 minute. constantly stirring. Place ina medium bowl; cool slightly. Stir in eggs, 1 at a time.
- Heat oil to 360 F (180C) in a deep frying pan (or wok). Place puff pase in a pastry bg fitted with a large fluted nozzel. Pipe rings onto oiled baking parchement ; the rings should not be too large. Lift paper with rings attahed and carefully invert into the hot oil. Remove paper when rings become free of it. Fry the rings on both sides until golden. Drain on paper towels. Repeat until the rings have all been cooked. Cool. Place on sheets of Reynolds Wrap or antoher brand of foil, for frosting.
- To make frosting: Combine powdered sugar, run and water in a small bowl. Spoon the frosting over teh cooled rings. Some frosting might run down to the foil, but some will definitely drip down the sides. This is ok.