- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10-12
- Preparation Time:
BackstorySource: 1991 Winning Taste Recipe Contest - First Place: Casserole
Sandra E. Rygle
Product: Pilgrim's Pride Chicken
- 3 pounds Pilgrim's Pride boneless, skinless, split chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled Stilton cheese or bleu cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 8 ounces Muenster cheese, grated
- 8 ounces Provolone cheese, grated
- 8 ounces White Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 pound lasagna noodles, cooked al dente, drained well
- 3 large firm ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, or 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly butter a 13x9x2-inch baking dish; set aside.
- Saute chicken in heated olive oil in a large skilled over moderately high heat until done, about 5 minutes. If necessary, cook in several batches. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over moderately low heat. Add flour, cooking and stirring about 3 minutes. Whisk in milk. Continue cooking and stirring 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and thickened. Remove sauce from heat; add salt, pepper, Stilton cheese and white wine, stirring until cheese has melted. Set aside.
- Combine Muenster, Provolone and cheddar cheese, mixing well. Set aside.
- To assemble lasagna, spread an even layer of sauce in the prepared baking dish. Top with 1/3 of the noodles, 1/3 of the remaining sauce, and half of each of the following: tomatoes, basil, mushrooms and chicken. Top with 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Repeat layering in the same manner. End with the remaining 1/3 noodles, sauce and cheese mixture.
- Bake in center of the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let Stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with basil leaves if desired.
- 10-12 servings
- Note: May be prepared
- Source: 1991 Winning Taste Recipe Contest - First Place: Casserole
- Sandra E. Rygle
- Product: Pilgrim's Pride Chicken