- Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes
- Servings: depends on cookie size
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 Cup ( 1 stick ) unsalted butter
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. pure almond extract
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 3/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Decorative sugars
- With electric mixer, cream butter, sugar, vanilla and almond extracts until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, flour, baking powder and salt, and beat until just blended. At this point, you can divide dough in half, and knead in as much cocoa powder as you wish to create a chocolate dough.
- I like to put a softball-sized amounts of dough in between wax paper and roll out a bit before I chill them in the fridge for at least 1 hour. (That way, it’s easier to roll out when you’re ready to cut out your cookies.)
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll out a prepared round of dough to less than a quarter inch thick. Cut dough with your favorite shapes and transfer to a lightly greased cookie sheet. (I use parchment paper to line my cookie sheets— it won’t burn up in the oven and it’s a much easier cleanup later. Plus, you can re-use the paper for your next sheet of cookies.)
- Sprinkle on cinnamon sugar or colored sugars.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges turn golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks.
- This recipe doubles beautifully! Make batches of dough in advance–
- you can freeze it and bake whenever the mood strikes!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"See More
Oreo Cookie Balls
Crispy Chicken Strips
Star Anise Spice CakeSee More