- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 12 c. all purpose flour
- 3 T. baking powder
- 1 ½ T. salt
- 3 c. shortening – transfat free is ok to use
- Approx. 5 c. of hot, not boiling, water
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together in a very large bowl.
- Put in shortening and mix by hand until well mixed. Make a well in the middle of the mixture, and add 2 cups of hot water and start mixing working quickly so that the water doesn’t “cook” the dough.
- Add additional water about 1 or 2 cups at a time until a soft, sticky dough forms.
- Roll and knead dough on a flat surface until it resembles pizza dough – this requires a lot of kneading.
- Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat griddle to 400º.
- Re-knead briefly and then squeeze off about a 2 to 2 ½ inch ball of dough (grab a chunk on dough and squeeze up between thumb and pointing finger – takes a little practice to get a smooth ball).
- Roll out into a circle – the thinner the better. Place on griddle, do not flip until you see bubbles on the top, and the bottom should be browning. Wrap in a dish towel to keep warm until ready to serve.
- These can be frozen, prior to cooking.
- Roll as directed above and place a piece of wax paper between each tortilla.
NotesThis makes a huge batch, you may want to make a 1/3 of the recipe. I don't know how many dozen it makes, it depends on how big you make them
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Hot and Sour Soup
My Husband’s Favorite Desert
Mickey's Pulled PorkSee More