- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 4 thick pork chops, 6 to 8-ounces each
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, baked, peeled, and mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons pure cane syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
- Season the pork chops with Cajun seasoning
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chops and cook until brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chops to a warm platter and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the flour.
- Stirring constantly, cook until roux is the color of chocolate, about 3 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the pecans, water, salt, and cayenne and mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the sweet potatoes and blend to make a smooth mixture.
- Stir in the syrup and green onions.
- Return the pork chops to the pan.
- Reduce the heat.
- Simmer until the pork is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes, basting the chops with the gravy.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately. Garnish with parsley.
NotesThis comes from the TV chef Emeril Lagasse. My entire family loves this dish.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
Cooking for a CureSee More
Broiled Salmon with Olive-Tomato Vinaigrette
Peanut and pretzel truffles
Veggie KebabsSee More