EMERIL'S PORK CHOPS WITH SWEET POTATO GRAVY
- Servings: 4
- 4 thick pork chops, 6 to 8-ounces each
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, baked, peeled, and mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons pure cane syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
Season the pork chops with Cajun seasoning
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
Add the chops and cook until brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Transfer the chops to a warm platter and cover to keep warm.
Reduce the heat to medium.
Add the flour.
Stirring constantly, cook until roux is the color of chocolate, about 3 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes.
Add the pecans, water, salt, and cayenne and mix well.
Bring to a boil.
Add the sweet potatoes and blend to make a smooth mixture.
Stir in the syrup and green onions.
Return the pork chops to the pan.
Reduce the heat.
Simmer until the pork is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes, basting the chops with the gravy.
Remove from the heat and serve immediately. Garnish with parsley.