- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 tsp. (scant) cream of tartar
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 c. (2 - 3 oz. pkgs.) finely chopped blanched almonds
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 env. unflavored gelatin
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 c. milk
- 1 (12 oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 c. coffee liqueur
- 1 c. whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- FOR CRUST: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar. Gradually add sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy. Fold in almonds. Spread mixture over bottom and sides of an oiled 10" pie pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- FOR FILLING: Place 1/4 cup sugar, gelatin and salt in top of double boiler. Beat together egg yolks and milk and add to gelatin. Cook over simmering water, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Add chocolate chips and continue cooking until chocolate has melted. Cool. Stir in coffee liqueur.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Slowly add 1/2 cup sugar and continue beating until whites are stiff and glossy. Fold into chocolate mixture.
- Whip cream, adding final 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla when cream is partially beaten. Spoon chocolate mixture and cream in alternating sections of cooled pie shell. Swirl with spoon to create marble effect. Chill until firm.